Setting up BlogEngine.NET 1.4 to use SQL Server
BlogEngine.NET 1.4 supports storing your data pretty much however you’d like. By default, it will store your data using XML. However, with a few simple steps you can be running your entire blog off of a database. Today, I put together a new screencast to show you exactly how to configure your blog to use SQL Server. For the veterans out there, there is some key changes in BlogEngine.NET 1.4, so it should be worth watching for you as well.
It is important to point out that this screencast starts with BlogEngine.NET 1.4 installed with the default providers. If you need help getting to that point, please watch the installing BlogEngine.NET 1.4 screencast.
It is important to know that BlogEngine.NET actually has 4 providers that can be configured.
- Blog Provider – Store posts, pages, settings, etc.
- Membership Provider – Store user names, passwords, etc.
- Role Provider – The role the users are in. (Administrator, Editor)
- Profile Provider – Information about the users.
This new screencast will walk you through getting the BlogProvider and the ProfileProvider setup using the new DbBlogProvider and DbProfileProvider.
For SQL Server, I’d recommend using the SQLMembershipProvider and the SQLRoleProvider that are built in to the .NET Framework. I made a screencast a while back on getting these set up, so I figured I’d save the effort and just link to it again for setting up these providers. Nothing has changed in the configuration.